This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. See my disclosure.
This jalapeño Jiffy cornbread is moist, with crispy edges, a fluffy center and is packed with flavor. Transform a box mix with a few add-ins like jalapeños and cheddar cheese. It’s perfect for your next BBQ, and is the perfect side for chili or soup!
When you’re looking for a quick, elevated cornbread recipe, this jalapeño cornbread made with Jiffy mix is made with minimal effort. It has all the right flavors with the addition of not only jalapeños, but also with cheddar cheese and corn. You can bake this cornbread in a cast iron skillet or in a baking dish, whichever you prefer!
This recipe is so good that everyone will think you made it from scratch!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Perfect as a side dish with your favorite meal or at a bbq.
- Easy to customize with more or less cheese and jalapeños.
- An all-American comfort food!
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Boxed Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix – You’ll want the 8.5 ounce box of Jiffy mix!
- Baking Powder – Helps the dough rise and expand as it bakes.
- Canned Corn – You’ll want a small can of creamed corn, about 8 ounces.
- Egg – You’ll want the egg to be room temperature.
- Milk – Whole milk is best for adding moisture to the cornbread. You can also use buttermilk.
- Butter – You can use salted or unsalted.
- Cheddar Cheese – I love sharp cheddar, but use your favorite. Buy already shredded or shred from a block of cheese.
- Jalapeños – Diced or chopped, they can be fresh or from a jar or can, but pickled is my favorite.
How To Make This Recipe
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease a baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
Add Jiffy mix, baking powder, corn, egg, milk and melted butter to a large mixing bowl. Mix well.
Add cheddar cheese and jalapeños and mix again.
Spread mixture evenly into greased baking dish. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until golden on top and a toothpick or butter knife comes out clean from the center.
- Add bacon for added flavor! You can mix in cooked pieces of bacon or sprinkle them over the top before baking.
- Try to change up the cheese. If you like more spice to your cornbread, pepper jack cheese has extra spice.
- Dice up some red or green bell peppers for a stronger taste.
- Grease your baking dish with butter or nonstick cooking spray so that it comes out nice and easy.
- Don’t over-bake! This will cause the cornbread to be dry and crumbly instead of moist.
- Mix the batter gently to keep the cornbread tender.
Storing & Freezing
Storing: Cornbread can be stored at room temperature for a few days. Just wrap it up in tin foil to prevent it from drying out.
Freezing: Wrap the cornbread tightly in foil and place in a freezer safe zip top bag, squeezing out excess air. Store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Reheating: Let cornbread thaw in the refrigerator overnight, or on the counter for a few hours. Heat in the oven for 10-15 minutes at 350 degrees F.
Typically cornbread is dry when it is overbaked. You can also try to add an extra egg to the batter before baking.
Yes you can! Line a muffin tin with liners and fill them about 2/3 way full before baking.
Yes! Pickled jalapeños add a nice vinegar and spicy flavor and are a great substitute for fresh jalapeños.
Absolutely! You can quadruple the recipe in a 9×13 inch baking dish. The cooking time may need to be adjusted to keep an eye on the cornbread as it bakes.
- 8.5 ounce box Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix
- 1/2 tablespoon baking powder
- 8.5 ounces can cream-style corn
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons pickled jalapeños, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease a baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Add Jiffy mix, baking powder, corn, egg, milk and melted butter to a large mixing bowl. Mix well.
- Add cheddar cheese and jalapeños and mix again.
- Spread mixture evenly into greased baking dish. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until golden on top and a toothpick or butter knife comes out clean from the center.
For more flavor and spice, sprinkle the top of the cornbread batter with extra jalapeños and cheese before baking.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.