This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. See my disclosure.
Orange cranberry muffins are packed with cranberries and flavored with fresh orange juice and orange zest! They are perfect for breakfast, brunch, or a quick snack. They’re filled with warm flavors and are delicious for fall.
These hearty and flavorful orange cranberry muffins are packed full of fresh orange zest and dried cranberries. They’re simple to make and absolutely delicious. Plus, they freeze well so you can make an extra batch to freeze and easily defrost for a quick breakfast on the go!
These orange cranberry muffins are so simple to make with just a handful ingredients!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Big on flavor and bursting with cranberries in each bite!
- Made by hand with everyday ingredients.
- They’re perfect for breakfast, brunch, or as an afternoon snack.
- They’ll make your house smell like the holidays!
- Tastes just like you got them from a bakery!
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Granulated Sugar and Brown Sugar – you’ll need these for added sweetness.
- Eggs – acts as a leavening agent, helping the muffins rise.
- Plain Yogurt – replaces sour cream. You can also use Greek yogurt.
- Vanilla Extract – for delicious vanilla flavor.
- Orange Zest – infuses these muffins with flavor.
- Flour – all-purpose flour works best!
- Baking Soda and Baking Powder – leavening agents, which help the muffins rise so they are light and fluffy.
- Ground Cinnamon – a little cinnamon for added fall flavor.
- Salt – sea salt works too.
- Orange Juice – for bold orange flavor.
- Milk – whole milk or 2% is best.
- Dried Cranberries – you’ll want these to be frozen.
How To Make This Recipe
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Line muffin pan with cupcake liners, or spray muffin tin.
In a medium sized mixing bowl, beat butter and sugars until creamy, about a minute.
Add eggs, yogurt, and vanilla. Beat for another minute until everything is mixed well. Mix in orange zest.
In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix with a whisk.
Add orange juice and milk, gently whisking until combined.
Fold in cranberries.
Spoon batter into cupcake liners, filling all the way to the top.
Bake for 5 minutes at 425 degrees, then lower the temperature to 350 degrees and bake for additional 15-18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Make sure eggs are at room temperature so they can incorporate fully into the batter.
- Stir until just combined. If you over-mix, your muffins could end up tough.
- Fill the baking cups all the way up with the batter.
- You can use cupcake liners or just bake right in the muffin tin. Just make sure to grease the muffin tin well.
- Divide the batter evenly between the muffin tin cups.
- Try adding a 1/2 cup chocolate chips or toasted nuts to the batter before baking!
- Add an orange glaze on top! See the FAQ’s below.
- Sprinkle the batter with coarse sugar before baking to give the top a bit of crunch and texture.
Storing & Freezing
Storing: Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days or in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Freezing: Place the muffins in a freezer safe container or zip top bag and store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Absolutely! Freeze the cranberries and add them to the batter in place of the dried cranberries.
Yes! In a medium mixing bowl combine 1 cup confectioners’ sugar, 1 tablespoon orange juice, 1 teaspoon orange zest, and 2 teaspoons milk; whisk until smooth, adding more milk as needed to reach desired consistency. Drizzle over the muffins right before serving.
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Zest of two oranges
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 1 /2 cups dried cranberries, frozen
- Preheat the oven to 425°. Line muffin pan with cupcake liners, or spray muffin tin.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, beat butter and sugars until creamy, about a minute.
- Add eggs, yogurt, and vanilla. Beat for another minute until everything is mixed well. Mix in orange zest.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix with a whisk.
- Add orange juice and milk, gently whisking until combined.
- Fold in cranberries.
- Spoon batter into cupcake liners, filling all the way to the top.
- Bake for 5 minutes at 425°, then lower the temperature to 350° and bake for additional 15-18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Looking For More Recipes?