This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. See my disclosure.
Rocky road brownies are my absolute favorite homemade brownie recipe. They are rich, fudgy in the middle, and made completely from scratch. These brownies are so easy and irresistible you’ll never use a box mix again!
This recipe for rocky road brownies yield the fudgiest homemade brownies you’ll ever try! After you make these from scratch brownies you will never buy a box of brownie mix again. Loaded with chocolate chips, and topped with a melted marshmallow, you’ll have a hard time stopping at just one!
Satisfy your chocolate cravings with this easy brownie recipe!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- These fudgy brownies are thick, rich, and perfectly chocolatey.
- The batter comes together in a few minutes and tastes way better than store bought!
- These brownies will WOW at any family gathering or event because who doesn’t like chocolate?!
- This recipe is quick and easy to make, you need just 11 ingredients.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Semisweet Chocolate – you can also use dark chocolate.
- Butter – adds so much more flavor than oil.
- Eggs – adds richness and provide structure to the brownies.
- Granulated Sugar and Brown Sugar – I use a combination of white sugar and brown sugar.
- Salt – enhances the sweetness of the brownies.
- Vanilla Extract – amps up the chocolate flavor.
- All-Purpose Flour – fold in the flour gently so you don’t make your brownies tough and dry.
- Chocolate Chips – I use semisweet chocolate chips, but bittersweet will also work.
- Chopped Almonds – gives the brownies some crunch.
- Large Marshmallows – marshmallows are a must for rocky road brownies!
How To Make This Recipe
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat the sides of a 9×13-inch baking pan with butter. Line the baking pan with parchment paper. The butter helps the parchment paper to stick to the pan!
Melt the chocolate and butter in the top of a double boiler over hot water, stirring continuously. Remove from heat and set aside to cool for a few minutes.
Whisk the eggs together. Gradually whisk in the sugars, salt and vanilla.
Mix the chocolate mixture into the egg mixture.
Gently fold in the chocolate chips.
Spread the batter evenly into the prepared pan and bake for 40 minutes. Remove the brownies from the oven and place them on a cooling rack for about 30 minutes.
Top the brownies with almonds and then marshmallows.
Bake the brownies for an additional 15 minutes until the marshmallows melt and turn golden on top.
Remove the brownies from oven and cool. Slice and enjoy!
Recipe Tips & Variations
- Good quality chocolate makes better tasting brownies!
- Don’t over-bake, the brownies will continue to bake as they cool.
- Wait for the brownies to cool before cutting them so they don’t crumble.
- Don’t skip lining the baking pan with parchment paper! It makes it so easy to lift the brownies out of the pan and cut them into squares.
Storing: Place the cooled brownies in an airtight container or zip top bag. Store at room temperature for 2 days or in the refrigerator for 4 days.
Freezing: Place the cooled brownies in an airtight freezer safe container, or zip top bag, and store in the freezer for up to 2 months. Tip – freeze the brownies in a single layer on a baking sheet before transferring them to a zip top bag. This will help prevent the brownies from breaking when being stacked. To thaw, allow the brownies to come to room temperature and enjoy!
Yes! If you prefer to mix the nuts into the batter instead of putting them on top that works too!
You can use a metal or glass pan, but I prefer baking brownies in a metal pan. Metal pans help the brownie edges and corners get crispier.
If you don’t need to make an entire 9×13-inch pan, feel free to cut the recipe in half and bake the brownies in an 8×8-inch baking dish instead.
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 cup butter (two sticks), cut into cubes
- 4 large eggs (or 5 medium eggs), room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds
- 20 large marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 350°. Coat the sides of a 9x13-inch baking pan with butter. Line the baking pan with parchment paper. The butter helps the parchment paper to stick to the pan!
- Melt the chocolate and butter in the top of a double boiler over hot water, stirring continuously. Remove from heat and set aside to cool for a few minutes.
- Whisk the eggs together. Gradually whisk in the sugars, salt and vanilla.
- Mix the chocolate mixture into the egg mixture.
- Gently fold in the chocolate chips.
- Spread the batter evenly into the prepared pan and bake for 40 minutes. Remove the brownies from the oven and place them on a cooling rack for about 30 minutes.
- Top the brownies with almonds and then marshmallows.
- Bake the brownies for an additional 15 minutes until the marshmallows melt and turn golden on top.
- Remove the brownies from oven and cool. Slice and enjoy!
Looking For More Recipes?