This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. See my disclosure.
Slow cooker chicken tinga is tangy, flavorful and cooked to perfection in a delicious homemade sauce. It’s versatile and great to serve as tacos, tostadas, burritos, or over rice. The whole family will love this simple, healthy dinner.
This slow cooker chicken tinga recipe is an easy family dinner recipe. It’s so full of flavor and is super versatile. It can be used for everything from tacos to quesadillas to burritos and bowls. You’ll love this easy shredded chicken dish.
This is the only chicken tinga recipe you will ever need!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Perfect for serving in tacos, tostadas, burritos, nachos, quesadillas and more!
- It reheats beautifully making it great for meal prep.
- The ingredients are easy to find at most grocery stores.
- It’s the most juicy, chipotle sauce smothered chicken.
- This recipe is not only easy to make but loaded with bold flavors.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Roma Tomatoes – fresh tomatoes are best, but canned tomatoes are great to use, especially in the winter when tomatoes are not in season.
- Chicken Broth – chicken broth or vegetable broth are both great.
- Onion – I use white onion, but yellow onion will work too.
- Chipotles in Adobo Sauce – these peppers are the starring essential ingredient in tinga!
- Garlic – essential flavor enhancers to any sauce.
- Dried Oregano, Salt and Ground Black Pepper – the spices we need to make this dish.
- Chicken – the traditional Mexican recipe uses chicken breast, but thighs work too.
How To Make This Recipe
In a blender or food processor, add tomatoes, broth, onion, chipotles, adobo sauce, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper. Blend until smooth.
Pour the sauce into the slow cooker. Add chicken to sauce, making sure to coat.
Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours, or until chicken is tender.
Remove chicken, shred and return to sauce in slow cooker.
Recipe Tips & Variations
- You can use either chicken thighs or chicken breast. Rotisserie chicken you shred yourself is also great!
- You can adjust the level of spice by increasing or decreasing the number of peppers you use.
- This recipe is easy to double, or triple!
- Try canned fire-roasted diced tomatoes for extra smokiness!
- If you double the recipe, keep the cooking time the same.
- A squeeze of lime over the chicken takes it to the next level!
Storing & Freezing
Storing: Store the cooled chicken tinga in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Freezing: Cool chicken to room temperature and place in a freezer safe airtight container or freezer bag. Store in the freezer for up to 4 months.
Chicken tinga is a dish that originated in the city of Puebla, Mexico. It’s made with shredded chicken in a flavorful sauce made from tomatoes, chipotle peppers in adobo, and onions.
It has a mild heat to it and a tangy overall flavor, but it isn’t too spicy.
Making tacos is my favorite, with either corn tortillas or flour tortillas.
- 4 Roma tomatoes, quartered
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 chipotles in adobo sauce, plus 1 tablespoon sauce
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast
- In a blender or food processor, add tomatoes, broth, onion, chipotles, adobo sauce, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper. Blend until smooth.
- Pour the sauce into the slow cooker. Add chicken to sauce, making sure to coat.
- Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours, or until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken, shred and return to sauce in slow cooker.
Looking For More Recipes?