This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. See my disclosure.
This slow cooker sour cream pork chops recipe is one of our favorite weeknight meals! So tender and packed full of amazing flavor! This one doesn’t get any easier, and it is definitely a crowd pleaser. Let the slow cooker do the cooking for you!
This slow cooker sour cream pork chops recipe is a very flavorful and easy recipe made with simple ingredients you already have, so it can easily turn into a staple dish! The pork chops are seasoned, browned, then slow cooked in the slow cooker. Served with a mouthwatering sour cream sauce!
Once you see how simple and delicious these pork chops are, you will add it to your normal menu plan rotation.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Using the slow cooker to make dinner frees up the evening hours to do other things.
- They’re smothered in a delicious sour cream sauce made from scratch and not from a canned soup.
- Pork chops in the slow cooker is an easy way to make flavorful, fork-tender pork chops!
- This recipe calls for very minimal ingredients and prep time is an absolute minimum.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Pork Chops – use bone-in or boneless pork chops that are at least 1-inch thick.
- Salt, Ground Pepper and Garlic Powder – the seasonings are rubbed on the meat before cooking.
- All-Purpose Flour – used to coat the pork chops and to help thicken the gravy.
- Vegetable Oil – used to brown the pork chops.
- Onion – provides a base layer of flavor.
- Chicken Bouillon Cubes – makes broth which is the base of the gravy.
- Water – mixed with the bouillon cubes to make the broth.
- Sour Cream – excellent for thickening and lends the richness of cream to the sauce.
How To Make Sour Cream Pork Chops
Season pork chops generously with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Then dredge them in the flour.
In a skillet over medium-heat, lightly brown the pork chops in vegetable oil. Place in them in the slow cooker and top with onion slices.
Dissolve bouillon cubes in boiling water and pour over onions and pork chops. Cook on low for 7-8 hours.
After the pork chops have cooked, remove from the slow cooker and keep warm.
In a bowl, blend the flour with the sour cream; mix into meat juices. Turn slow cooker on high for 15-30 minutes until the sauce is slightly thickened.
Return pork chops to the crockpot and serve with the sauce.
Recipe Tips & Variations
- I do not recommend a thin cut pork chop for this recipe. Either bone-in or boneless pork chops will work for this recipe, but they should be at least an inch thick.
- Picky eaters who don’t like onions? You can add onion powder to the pork chops when adding the garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- If you’re in a time pinch you can cook these for 3-4 hours on high, however, cooking on low heat for several hours ensures that you have tender pork chops that practically melt in your mouth.
- If you’d like to turn this into a freezer meal, whip the sauce mixture together and place it in a zip top freezer bag along with the raw pork chops and sliced onions. When you’re ready to prepare the dish, thaw the bag in the refrigerator the night before.
Storing & Freezing
Storing: Transfer cooled pork chops and sauce to an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
Freezing: Wrap each pork chop individually in foil. Place the individually wrapped pork chops in a large freezer safe bag and freeze for up to 2-4 months.
Reheat: Place the pork chops in a dish and cover with foil. Warm in a 350 degree oven for 10-15 minutes, or just until heated through.
Absolutely! Chicken works wonderfully in this recipe. The flavor and texture will be a little different, but it will still taste great!
Yes! You can cut the recipe in half for a smaller slow cooker, or you can use a smaller slow cooker without having to reduce the ingredients.
These pork chops are great over rice, but other good options would be egg noodles or mashed potatoes. Vegetables like peas, green beans, carrots and corn also make a great side.
The slow cooker cooks the meat slowly so there’s a risk that bacteria may contaminate it before reaching safe cooking temperatures. It’s safest to use thawed pork chops in a slow cooker.
- 4 -5 pork chops, boneless or bone-in
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large white onion, peeled and cut into slices
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 2 cups boiling water
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sour cream
- Season pork chops generously with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Then dredge them in the flour.
- In a skillet over medium-heat, lightly brown the pork chops in vegetable oil. Place in them in the slow cooker and top with onion slices.
- Dissolve bouillon cubes in boiling water and pour over onions and pork chops. Cook on low for 7-8 hours.
- After the pork chops have cooked, remove from the slow cooker and keep warm.
- In a bowl, blend the flour with the sour cream; mix into meat juices. Turn slow cooker on high for 15-30 minutes until the sauce is slightly thickened.
- Return pork chops to the crockpot and serve with the sauce.
Seasonings are to taste, use more or less to your preference.
Looking For More Recipes?